Since July 27, 2018, Quebecers can personalize their license plate like most Canadian provinces and American states.
How it works?
For the sum of $250, car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile or moped owners can choose from two to seven symbols, including numbers and letters, to appear on their license plate. This requires an annual renewal fee of $34.50.
What to consider
However, the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) imposes restrictions on the content displayed on the license plate. Indeed, there are five main prohibitions:
- Falsely suggesting that the owner of the road vehicle is a public authority (example: POLICE)
- Express obscene or scandalous content
- Refer to a law reserved for others or of which it prohibits their use (Citation of the name of a commercial brand)
- refer to a criminal offense
- Expressing recklessness about road safety
To read this news, you can consult the press release issued by the SAAQ on the websitehttps://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-presse/communique/les-plaques-dimmatriculation-personnalisees-maintenant-offertes-au-quebec/